Sweet potato is vastly publicised as the biggest super food, even diets have been created from ancient eating habits of the inhabitants of the Japanese Ryukyu Islands where it makes up around 60% of their daily diet. These inhabitants have an average life expectancy of 116 years, plus they not only live longer but also age slower. Amazing? So in a bid to help increase your sweet potato intake why not try my velvety smooth Thai Sweet Potato Soup.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 Roasted red peppers
Bunch of Thai basil
- Finely chop the onion while heating the oil in a big soup pan, add the onion and cook on a low heat for up to 10 minutes until soft
- Meanwhile bash the cardamom pods, shake the seeds into a mortar and grind with the pestle roughly
- Grate the ginger and garlic, then add with the cardamom and chilli flakes into the pan, cook through for 2 minutes until aromatic
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes then add into the pan, toss them in the spices and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the coconut milk, crumbled stock cubes and 800ml hot water then cover for 15 minutes
- At this point the sweet potato will be tender so remove from the heat and use a blend until perfectly smooth
- Add your lemon juice and any seasoning to taste, then you are ready to serve!
I like to serve in a big bowl with shredded roasted peppers and Thai basil stirred through, but that bit is completely optional!
How did you get along with this recipe? If you have any pictures remember to tag @boolovesbaking on Instagram!
Subscribe to the blog on the homepage to receive notifications of more recipes and nutritional advice.