If you struggle to stay filled up from breakfast to lunch then these Spiced Oat Fritters with Honeyed Grapefruit are for you. The oats will really help maintain your energy levels, completely gluten free, you get a good dose of vitamin C with one of your five a day from the grapefruit and cardamom is my favourite spice because it does so much, let’s have a look…
- Digestion – it can help combat nausea, bloating, constipation to name a couple – does this sound familiar? Yes it should as these are commonly known as ginger properties, cardamom is actually closely related to ginger – cool fact!
- Oral Hygiene – here it can help halitosis sufferers but also can combat mouth ulcers and infections.
- Cancer – it has been proven in animals that cardamom can prevent growth and in some cases can kill off cancerous cells.
- I’d be here all day if I listed them all but just so you know how cool it is how about if it helped with depression, colds, blood pressure and clotting, inflammation, hiccoughs and is an aphrodisiac? You’ll be trying it in everything now!
Ingredients (Per Portion)
25g Oatbran (Milled oats)
3 Cardamom pods
85ml Nut milk (Any!)
0.5 tsp Coconut Oil
Half a grapefruit
1 tbsp Honey
- Crack open cardamom pods then crush finely using a pestle and mortar
- Add oatbran, crushed cardamom and nut milk to a pan, on a gentle heat stir until you have a thick porridge consistency – set aside to cool for 5 minutes
- While you are waiting cut up the grapefruit into about 6-8 segments
- Add the egg to the mixture and stir until you have a batter consistency
- Heat a small frying pan (I use single egg pans for ease but you can use anything, even a pancake griddle) and melt half the coconut oil
- Pour half of your mixture into your pan, fry on a medium heat for a minute on the first side, check by lifting the corner that it’s a nice golden brown underneath and then flip over for another minute
- Per portion I make two fritters around 4 inches in diameter, so now add the remaining coconut oil and repeat a second time then set pancakes aside to keep warm
- Add the grapefruit and honey to the pan and heat through to take the bitter edge off the grapefruit
- Serve grapefruit on top of the pancakes, there will be some liquid left in the pan so turn up the heat so this bubbles ferociously to make yourself a honey grapefruit syrup and pour over the top of your pancakes!
How did you get along with this recipe? If you have any pictures remember to tag @boolovesbaking on Instagram or Twitter!