For when you fancy some comfort food but don’t want the guilt that follows, try my Falafel Flatbread Burger with Sweet Potato Fries! If you want to cut out the carbs, try simply removing the flatbread and serving with a side salad.
Ingredients (Makes 4 burgers)
1 Red onion (small)
2 Sweet potatoes (medium)
1 Garlic clove
1 tsp Yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Chilli powder
Handful fresh parsley
2 tbsp Rye or Plain flour
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 Portion of salsa (see recipe here)
2 Multi-seeded folded flatbreads or pitta bread
Salad to serve
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into fries lengthways – maximum of 1cm wide
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper then shake so the fries are thinly coated, bake for 15-20 minutes (shake the tray occasionally so the edges don’t catch!)
- Using a pestle and mortar grind the mustard, cumin and coriander seeds in a powder
- Into a blender add half the chickpeas with the ground spice mix, chilli powder, garlic and flour then blend until fully combined
- Chop the red onion coarsely and add into the blender with the remaining chickpeas and parsley, pulse until combined but still textured
- Now use your hands to separate the mixture into four balls and push down to flatten into burger patties
- If you are making your tomato salsa please see recipe here
- Over a medium heat add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan and heat until the oil is hot
- Add the burger patties, using a spatula push these down into the pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until cooked through and golden brown
Then all that is left to do is plate up and by this point it’ll be smelling amazing! I like to layer the falafel burger in my flatbread with a generous spoon of tomato salsa and green salad with sweet potato fries on the side – but that bit is up to you!
This is a big hit with kids and adults alike so would love to see how you get along with the recipe, if you have some pictures remember to tag @boolovesbaking on Instagram!
Subscribe to the blog on the homepage to receive notifications of more recipes and nutritional advice.