Breakfast is a really important part of the day, many of us (and I can be guilty here too) forget it and get sucked straight into work. Give yourself the best chance every day and if you struggle for breakfast in the morning or simply looking for a cheaper breakfast alternative – try these Cinnamon Apple Granola Bars! They also make really yummy snacks throughout the day and great alternatives for teething biscuits for our little ones.
210g Rolled oats
200g Rice Krispies
55g Flax seeds
40g Flaked almonds
80g Dried apples
40g Brown sugar (unrefined)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1.5 tsp Cinnamon
4 tbsp Coconut oil
0.5 tsp Salt
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Spread the oats, flax seeds, pecans, flaked almonds onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 7 minutes until the oats begin to turn golden brown
- Stir the oat mixture around and put back into the oven for another 5 minutes and remove
- Weigh the honey, brown sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract into a pan, place over a low heat to gently melt while stirring until combined
- Chop the dried apples into small chunks
- Put the ingredients from the baking tray into a bowl along with the Rice Krispies, dried apples, cinnamon and salt then stir so ingredients are evenly distributed
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Line an 8″ square tin (preferably with a loose bottom) with baking paper
- Pour the mixture into the tin and with a scrap of baking paper push down on the mixture to ensure it’s compacted into the tin
- Put into the oven for 10 minutes, remove and allow to cool
Once the mixture is at room temperature and to make it easy to cut into squares/rectangles (however you like it!) put into the fridge for at least an hour. You can swapping the dried fruit, nuts and seeds with anything you like, as long as you keep the quantities of wet versus dry ingredients the same!
I like mine with a big black coffee but would love to see what you think of this recipe and if you have some pictures remember to tag @boolovesbaking on Instagram!
Subscribe to the blog on the homepage to receive notifications of more recipes and nutritional advice.